Strains, sprains, and tears are the most common types of workplace injuries every year. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics there are over 440,000 sprain and strain injuries each year. Getting ready for the job means more than lining up tools and material. We should get our muscles ready too. Exercising before work can help prevent back, neck, and shoulder injuries. Stretching before work helps prevent injury from sprains, strains, and tears. It is important that you take the time to stretch.
Especially for professionals, service technicians, delivery drivers, and those who spend much of their work time in seated positions, having an adequate and frequent stretching practice is one of the keys to a healthy lifestyle, and can help to eliminate overall body aches, pains, and injury.
The many benefits of stretching include:
- Better posture
- Stress reduction
- Improved circulation
- Increased flexibility
- Enhanced coordination
- Pain relief
- Increased energy
- A better sense of well-being
- Reducing injury
Tips for safe stretching:
(If you have any doubts about your ability to do the exercises below safely or if they feel any pain, you should stop immediately and seek medical advice.)
- Stretch slowly
- Remember to breathe normally
- Hold each stretch for at least 15-20 seconds,
Repeat each stretch 2-3 times
Practice the following stretches before you begin the work day.
- Extend your arms and move them in large, slow circular motions. Forward then backwards
- Grab the opposite elbow and pull the elbow across your body
- Bend slowly side to side
- Place your hands on your lower back, bend your neck back and arch your back
- Place your legs together, slowly bend down and try to touch your toes
- Slowly twist your upper body side to side
- Stand in one leg and reach behind your back and pull your foot up
- Spread your legs, bend down and try to touch the ground
Lack of stretching can lead to build up of acids in your muscles that can cause pain and stiffness. There are plenty of easy stretches that anyone can implement in their everyday routines, and many don’t even require leaving your vehicle or work area. So, before work, after driving and after meal breaks, take a moment to stretch and get moving!
For more information about partnering with Raymond Storage Concepts and how we can satisfy your parts needs, please contact us today.